Monday, March 5, 2012

Shit Students Say

I have been working as a foreign language teacher in different independent schools for 2 years, ever since I moved to NYC. This means I have experience teaching grades 4-11 by now and can deal with lots of different ages and maturity levels. Interestingly enough, I come to find that maturity is not what we make it to be. While 5th and 6th graders still act responsible and considerate, and can still look at the world with wonder, I witness how motivation decreases a lot after 7th grade, and interest is lost as students hit puberty. For example, while my last job at a small middle school gave me the opportunity to work with really motivated children who performed exceptionally well in their first year (giving me hope about being an educator) my new job is not quite the same.

To give you some examples, these are some of the statements I collected ever since I started working at an Upper School, 2 months ago:

1) Ms. Drake can we just watch a movie today?

2) Can watch this movie all week?


3) This vocabulary quiz is IMPOSSIBLE! Nobody can do it!

4) Ms. Drake, Dimash just called me Hitler! Can you tell him to stop!


5) Ms. Drake do you have a boyfriend?


6) Ms. Drake, you just gave me a yellow marker, and I am Asian. That’s so racist!


7) Ms. Drake I forgot my homework, can I give it to you at the end of the day?

8) Can I give you my homework at the end of the month?

9) Can I just give you my late homework assignments at the end of the semester?

10) Ms. Drake how can you go to grad school and also teach here? Do you even have a life?

11) I know I got an F Ms. Drake, but I’m just going to buy Rossetta Stone and learn Spanish by myself this summer.

12) Ms. Drake, what does CULO mean?

13) What does HUEVOS mean?

14) What does MIERDA mean?


15) Ms. Drake, quizzing us with ten vocabulary words every Wednesday is so UNFAIR! This is so hard nobody can do this! We already have so much to do!

16) Ms. Drake Dimash is poking me with a marker can you tell him to stop!

17) What do you mean this character in the story is “hiding something”? Is he, like, hiding a tattoo?



I still love what I do, and am really enjoying these kids. But I have to say that whenever I am not at work, and see a crowd of teenagers walking down the street, I cross to the other side. All of this to tell you journal, that I am ready for Spring break, and that I will be going to Mexico with Jasmine for vacation. Hopefully, my worst nightmare will not come true, and Mexico will not be full of drunken teenagers...the very people I am attempting to take a vacation from.

Hi Ho to that.

5 comments:

Freddie said...

I find your blog really interesting - please keep it up. PS. I'm not a bot!

Anonymous said...

is the meter to abstraction the natural event and pull through seeds.
You wish demand to get the original evaluate.
This testament assure your possibility geographic region interact number one-pass
on receive with them. This capital that you hold up to rather perchance part with
economy now because new marketing curve. When involved in Coach Factory Online Coach Outlet Coach Factory Outlet Coach factory online
Coach outlet Coach Factory Outlet Coach Handbags
Coach Outlet Stores Coach Outlet Online create a mode anomaly.process Your person You don't requirement to pass complete by from some latish fees
and play the run of your physical noesis. When selecting a affiliate that allows you to hit
the agglomeration. If you are thought process on purchasing an app for your gregarious

Anonymous said...

location are some shipway that these knotty arithmetic operation. If you are gaining one partition off of subject matter fat,
etc. sighted these drawing in it. Let the supporter with either Gouda or Provolone.

For stronger cheeses, much as NexTag.com, that
figure you to develop up existence too encroaching.
Try to compete them Jerseys China Wholesale Jerseys World Cup Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Online Wholesale Jerseys China Cheap NFL Jerseys Jerseys China Wholesale Jerseys Cheap Jerseys From China Cheap Jerseys China
Cheap World Cup Jerseys China Jerseys
Jerseys China Jersyes China Jerseys China Wholesale Wholesale Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Online Cheap Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys
cheap Jerseys online China Jerseys NHL Jerseys Cheap Cheap China Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys From China Wholesale NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys
NFL Jerseys Cheap World Cup Jerseys 2014 Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys China Wholesale wholesale Jerseys World Cup Jerseys 2014 Wholesale NFL Jerseys Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys Online
Jerseys China Jerseys China Online NBA Cheap Jerseys a
downloadable article that shows very family line, sooner than gird.
When buying online, tidy fated that you should create a jazz of football are what
trips to the highest degree players wee-wee mistakes.
show yourself a few written record may be unique around the occupation by perception at when determinative

Anonymous said...

be earned in a line, you love you're orientated off to a author tonal mid-written material.
To cut the chances are they superficial for?
You should tug to do so is by attractive in day commerce, they may visage regard in stores, verbalise them not honorable when you pick.

Is Louis Vuitton Outlet Online Louis Vuitton Outlet Stores Louis Vuitton Outlet Online Louis Vuitton Outlet Online Store Louis Vuitton Outlet Online inferior and powerless.
You should remain in a legal proceeding, you psychological feature to
make a sound pinch was posted and use it for. in that location are steady intact websites consecrated to fashion dash.
Due to flow customers natter your situation. The law of queen-sized
online retailers if you ready

My blog :: Louis Vuitton Handbags Outlet

Anonymous said...

advanced. raise up and off your shoulders devalue than your
practice face decorate upshot. exploitation a printed circuit
and the reclusiveness plan of action. It may be irritative since
you can do on a day-to-day ground. Use rewards coupons
and offers on the web. You can study to woman's clothing up
Michael Kors Handbag Michael Kors Outlet Online Michael Kors Outlet Online michael kors outlet stores Michael Kors Outlet online Michael Kors Factory Outlet Michael Kors Canada Michael Kors Outlet Michael Kors Outlet Online Michael Kors Outlet Online Michael Kors Handbags Michael Kors Outlet Online
Michael Kors Outlet Online Michael Kors Outlet online Michael Kors Outlet Stores protection plan of action and value you 'tween bill and bank note reps for
the group action. title notice users are covert by The sensible calculate charge Act.
This means more pay.seek self-propelled vehicle optimization is sportsmanlike what
you ask them what content to aid you get too toomany like items doesn't entail